#326 – Peer Feedback at Parabol
Friday Ship #326 | December 2nd, 2022
Good feedback, shared early and often, is essential to our culture at Parabol. We covet regular feedback from our customers, from our advisors, and from each other.
At Parabol we use our software to support a peer review process that we run at least every 6 months per employee. Here’s how it works in brief:
- A team member and their team lead select a panel of peers who have worked alongside the member on a regular basis
- Folks on the panel respond to a set of prompts to highlight the highs and the lows, offer suggestions for opportunities, or ask questions about the team member’s roles, accountabilities, and work
- The team member reviews the topics during 1:1 time with their team lead. Follow-up discussions with the panel are encouraged
- The team member develops a plan for how they want to improve based on the feedback and share that with the team
The steps of inviting a panel and gathering feedback are entirely async. Once the panel is in place we share a private Slack channel and private Parabol team. The team member chooses what prompts to share with the panel and kicks off the async activity. We have 3 templates to start with or they can customize their own:
We’ve been running reviews like this for the past year. The best part is that any Parabol employee can propose improvements to the process that can be sponsored by our leadership team. How do you gather peer feedback at your organization? We’d love to hear what works for you.
Website metrics continue a downward trend. User metrics are steady week over week. Meetings have slowed a bit this past week. Folks celebrating Thanksgiving might be getting back in the swing of things.
This week we…
- …submitted two Direct to Phase II (D2P2) SBIR grants. One with the U.S. Air Force and one with the U.S. Space Force to adapt Parabol for Airmen and Guardians so that they can better utilize Parabol’s Agile SaaS platform to become more “digitally fluent” and support our Airmen and Guardians to “rapidly deliver resilient software capability” to stay ahead of our adversaries.
- …welcomed Lili Caruso, Inside Sales Representative, to the team
- …continued efforts to backfill a Senior Product Developer position
- …published a new resource ‘26 Common Meeting Types and How to Run Them’
- …added a new retro template ‘Heard, Seen, Respected’
Next week we’ll…
…have a product squad retreat in Miami — our focus is exploring a new product area for Parabol